Today I received this email. It was from a family member who thought I would agree with them, or be schooled by them, not sure which. It was titled ENIGMAS.
1) Isn’t it weird that in America our flag and our culture offend so many people, but our benefits don’t?
(2) How can the federal government ask U.S. citizens to pay back student loans, when illegal aliens are receiving a free education?
(3) Only in America are legal citizens labeled “racists” and “Nazis,” but illegal aliens are called “Dreamers.”
(4) Liberals say, “If confiscating all guns saves just one life, it’s worth it.” Well then, if deporting all illegals saves just one life, wouldn’t that be worth it?
(5) I can’t quite figure out how you can proudly wave the flag of another country but consider it punishment to be sent back there.
(6) The Constitution: It doesn’t need to be rewritten; it needs to be reread
7) William F. Buckley said: “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other points of view and are then shocked and offended when they discover there are other points of view.”
(8) Joseph Sobran said: “‘Need’ now means wanting someone else’s money. ‘Greed’ means wanting to keep your own.
‘Compassion’ is when a politician arranges the transfer.”
(9) Florida has had 119 hurricanes since 1850, but some people still insist the last one was due to climate change.
You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
Some say that we should stop killing Ducks to make Duck Tape. And THEY VOTE….SCARY!
I never know quite what to do when one of these bombs lands in my email. Usually, I confess, I delete it and move on.
Today, I just could not, and so wrote this response, and sent it the my family member (former family member? possibly!) and the person who sent it to my family member as well. And to my sister. I usually include my sister when I do this kind of thing, for moral support!
And so, I am probably on the shit-list with someone I love very much, a person I am trying to keep low-key and pleasant with as we both age. She tried to “school” me, and I did the same thing back, which is not good, especially as I am usually playing with a much more informed deck.
But, sometimes, something is just too much for me to ignore when it is presented as just an off-hand joke that we’re all, of course, going to agree with. Lord I do not agree with one single thing it said, including using the term “illegal” for people who haven’t been able to get a chance to be Americans.
I was unable to get pregnant. I was ridiculously lucky to be able to adopt a wonderful daughter from China who had to be given up by her poor birth mother because of poverty, patriarchy, or communism, or all three even, and yet some in my family will open their arms to her, and turn their backs on all the other children in the world who are suffering and in need. If I had the money, I’d give Angelina Jolie a run for her money, and I would fling open the doors to the people who need to escape from gang violence, or Syria, or poverty.