Well, it seems I’ve got Ms. Blog here going okay.
So, things you may be interested to know about me:
- Graduate with a BA, MA, and MFA, focus was writing for all.
- Married to another writer: David Yurkovich of graphic novel fame. And yes, it is tough to have 2 writers/artists in a house together. What did The Bard say, ~if two men ride on a horse, one must needs ride behind? It’s true, and more so true if there are children. One partner will get more creative time than the other. It is a complicated formula individual to each couple, and for us, personally, I think it can often relate to who feels more worthy of time. I struggle with that, still, because I often feel my child, my pet, my husband, my garden are the things I need to give my time to. I have 5 cats and 1 dog, and a large garden and a mess of house plants. Do I surround myself with things that need tending to avoid writing?
- Hubster and I have one daughter in elementary school. We adopted her from China. She is cool. Super cool. The coolest. She is also an artist: draws, writes, plays piano.
- I work as an adjunct professor, teaching, blah of all blahness, freshman composition. Can you say cohort, multi-model, rubric, pedagogy, and rhetorical strategy? Neither can I. BLECH! If you are in grad school because you want to be a writer, and your professors talk you into becoming an adjunct because “…it will give you time to write,” they a lie. I mean they are literally a walking talking lie. Do not believe in them or what they tell you. Do not believe their interest in you extends past the point where you are paying tuition either. Make money doing something you leave at the job when you go home, and where you have respect, and where you do not spend your entire working-life reading bad and boring writing, and trying to convince 18-30 year olds that they need a college degree. No, no, no, no, no.
- I love semi-colons and the Oxford comma.
- I am a white chick and a liberal. Very liberal. Go-gay-marriage-women’s-rights-black-lives-matter-welfare-is-good-pro-choice-free-healthcare-science-rules-pink-pussy-hat-liberal. You will not be able to change this about me.
- Have lived in Philly and Los Angeles, and now in a teeny-tiny town in Delaware. First-state-pride-represent!
- If I could marry something non-human, it would be NPR.
- If you are in the market for a new laptop, because your old ones never last more than 3 years, seriously consider saving up for a MAC. Will cost you 1100 or more, but is worth it.
My writing evolution: in my BA college days I wrote plays. In my grad programs I wrote poems. Now I write fiction. Mostly short stories.
Favorites Writers (in no particular order):
- Raymond Chandler
- Dashiell Hammett
- Walter Mosley
- Tom Robbins
- Douglas Adams
- JK Rowling
- Lemony Snicket
- Neil Gaiman (the children’s books)
- Jane Austen
- Agatha Christie
- Kinky Friedman
- Arnold Lobel
- Russell Hoban
- Maurice Sendak
Hmmm…. looks like I have lipstick on my teeth in the above photo. Fancy!